Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blackberries - Harvest now and put up for winter!

    Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries...  Any berry and you will find me picking them.  I LOVE the harvest and putting up berries to have year around. I freeze them on a cookie sheet with a reusable sheet of sorts on the cookie sheet so they don't stick to the pan.  Once the berries freeze I take them off and put them in bags.  This makes it so that they don't stick together and are individually frozen.  
     
    As a raw foodist, I really am looking to fill my upright freezer with berries this year to supply my need for berries for my morning 'green' protein drink.  1 cup of blackberries adds 2 grams of protein to my morning drink. 
     
    The most prominent question I get about being a Raw Foodist is; 'How do you get your protein?'.  Much of the population doesn't understand that raw plant based food has protein, plant protein.  If you think about it, how do cows, hippos, giraffes get their protein? The same way I do.  AND as you can see below, one cup of blackberries has 2 grams of protein!  

    The blackberries of 2013 are huge and plentiful in Oregon right now.  Get out and get some for your harvest.  I try to pick about an hour every other evening.  I have 9 gallons frozen thus far.  I would LOVE to have 12, one for each month.  

    I encourage you to get out and get some in your freezer for the winter, or for eating now!  They are everywhere and huge, and very sweet!!
     
     
    Nutritional Facts about
  1. Blackberries
    Amount Per 1 cup (144 g)
    Calories 62
  2. % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.7 g1%
    Saturated fat 0 g0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg0%
    Sodium 1 mg0%
    Potassium 233 mg6%
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g4%
    Dietary fiber 8 g32%
    Sugar 7 g
    Protein 2 g4%
    Vitamin A6%Vitamin C50%
    Calcium4%Iron4%
    Vitamin B-60%Vitamin B-120%
    Magnesium7%


No comments:

Post a Comment